Few of us think much about the topic of home health care services - until we have to.
When you or a loved one suffer from a chronic condition or face a difficult recovery from illness or injury, home health care services can make a huge difference. While home serves as the most comfortable place to restore or to maintain health, our loved ones who live there often lack the expertise or even the stamina to provide quality 24-hour care.
To support patients and their families, Healing Hearts Home Health services provides a range of care services in the patient’s residence. Many times, Medicare covers our services in full or in part. The most common question is usually, “Am I eligible?”
Don’t forget that Medicare covers health care costs for senior citizens. Medicaid provides health care coverage for low or no income individuals and children.
Who Is Eligible Under Medicare
Medicare covers a number of home health care services, under certain restrictions.
All who use Medicare Parts A and/or B can enjoy eligibility if they meet the following conditions for coverage and care.
- Must receive care from a licensed medical specialist
- Care must be part of a plan created and monitored by a medical doctor
- Patient must be certified as homebound and unable to get to services on his or her own
- Only need services defined as “part-time” or “intermittent.”
Also, a medical doctor must certify that the patient needs one or more of the following procedures:
- Intermittent nursing care apart from drawing blood
- Physical therapy
- Speech pathology
- Ongoing occupational therapy
Finally, the condition must be one in which a medical professional has a reasonable expectation that services will result in improvement, need a skilled therapist to help to create a maintenance plan for the condition, or require a therapist to actively perform maintenance therapy.
What Services Does Medicare Cover
Medicare covers a wide range of potential services provided by home health care establishments, including:
- Physical and/or occupational therapy
- Speech-language pathology
- Appropriate medical social services
- Other part-time or intermittent personal hands-on health care services
Home health care service providers also generally coordinate your doctor’s treatment plan as well.
Which Services Does Medicare Not Cover
Medicare does not cover every service, however. Some services fall more under care more appropriately handled by the family. Also, Medicare restrictions have been put in place to reduce the instances of fraud.
The services left uncovered by Medicare include, but are not limited to:
- Full-time home health care
- Meals prepared and delivered to the home
- Homemaker duties, such as cleaning, cooking, etc, when this is the only care needed
- Custodial or personal care, such as bathing, using the toilet, etc. when these services are all the patient requires
In some cases, other programs, services, or organizations may step in and provide volunteer-based or other forms of support for homebound individuals in need of home health care or related services.
Contact your county, city, township, or community senior services organization. They may help to connect families with services, such as delivered meals, weatherization, and more.
Reach Out Today
We strive daily to bring a better quality of life to those in need of home health care services. Our caring and highly trained staff commit themselves to the highest standard of care and service.
Call today if you have any questions about our services or eligibility under Medicare, Medicaid, private insurance, or other providers. We can also schedule an appointment to discuss our services.